Worldwide Prerelease Tournaments
Call store for specific details
Saturday July 11 – Sunday July 12
Go to a Magic 2010 Prerelease and experience the newest Magic: The Gathering set a week before it goes on sale! Play, trade, spend time with friends and win cool prizes. Play in any tournament and receive an exclusive Vampire Nocturnus promo card (while supplies last)!
Regional Prerelease Tournaments
Wizards of the Coast will be sponsoring Regional Prerelease Tournament events in a number of locations around the world. Regional Prereleases are larger events that offer a festival-like event for players with additional attractions such as single card dealers, artist signings, and Champion Challenge.* Celebrate the new set any way you want!
* Attractions vary according to location. Check with your local Regional Prerelease organizer for specific details.
Prerelease Main Event Tournament Format & Structure
- All Magic 2010 Prerelease Tournaments will be run using Sealed Deck format, with each player receiving 6 Magic 2010 booster packs to build a deck.
- Prerelease Tournaments are run using Swiss rounds, with a minimum of four rounds per event. (Tournaments with only 8 players may run three rounds.)
- Some events may be run using a modified Swiss-style structure and/or single-elimination rounds. Contact your local Prerelease Tournament organizer for specific details.
Prerelease Tournament Prizes
- Wizards of the Coast provides 2 Magic 2010 boosters for each tournament participant for the overall prize pool.
- Additional non-Magic 2010 prizes may be awarded.
- Each participant will receive 1 Vampire Nocturnus promo card and 1 Launch Party flyer (while supplies last).
- Contact your local Prerelease Tournament organizer for specific entry fee, prize payout, and event information.
Prerelease Public Events
In addition to the main Prerelease Tournament event, some locations may offer Open Dueling, Team, Booster Draft, and additional Sealed Deck public events.
Open Dueling — Open Dueling is a more casual format primarily for players not participating in the main Prerelease Tournament. Open Dueling players receive 1 Magic 2010 Intro Pack chosen at random, 1 Open Dueling Results Card, and 1 Vampire Nocturnus promo card (while supplies last). Open Dueling players play against other Open Dueling participants as well as main tournament players who are between matches. (Tournament players are encouraged to help Open Dueling and new players how to play Magic.) After an Open Dueling participant has played five matches and completely filled in the Results Card, upon confirmation of the results by the event organizer that player will receive one complimentary booster pack provided by the organizer as a prize.
Team Events — Playing with friends as a team is a fun and exciting way to enjoy Magic. For Two-Headed Giant events, the recommended product mix is 8 Magic 2010 booster packs per team.
Booster Draft — Players participating in a booster draft event should each receive 3 Magic 2010 booster packs. (Other product mixes are allowable as long as each player in the event receives the same number and type of packs.)
Sealed Deck — As with the main Prerelease Tournament event, each player in a Sealed Deck event will receive 6 Magic 2010 booster packs to build a deck.